If you are selling your property, you must find a real estate lawyer to be equipped with precise legal support to handle legal issues involved in the sale. Buyers appoint their own lawyer, so make sure that you have reinforced your legal position with an experienced and proficient real estate lawyer or attorney. When you are searching for a lawyer, you must check out his profile, cases handled and resolved by him, his credentials, profile of the law firm in which he is practicing and many more factors. The easiest way to look for a best real estate lawyer would be to go through online real estate lawyer sites, rather than looking around in your vicinity. Checking track records and credentials of a lawyer becomes easy task through websites of the law firms and individual legal consultants.
Job Of A Property Seller’s Lawyer
Although there is no distinctive function or job defined for a lawyer taking care of legal issues in the sale of a property, such a lawyer usually performs the following tasks to help you in property sales –
1. He/She will draft and review sales contract
2. Ensure title of the property and the documents pertaining to the property are properly included in the sales
3. Revise mortgage information and re-calculate transaction to ensure that those are correct
4. Revise tax bills related to the property
5. Adjustment of dates for utility costs, condominium costs or municipality costs
6. Assessment of the amount of due refunds, if any
7. Drafting statement for adjustment
8. Drafting transfer deeds
9. Taking care whether their clients are able to deliver title to the buyer, when the sale is closed.
Documentation Asked By A Real Estate Lawyer From His Clients
As a seller, you are required to keep ready some essential documents if are about to find a real estate lawyer. Following are the documents your lawyer would require –
- Latest tax bill issued on your property
- Last year’s utility bills on property
- Mortgage details
- One copy of the offer accepted by buyers
- Transfer documents on the property since when the property was purchased
- Additional relevant records which prove that you are the owner of the relevant property.
Fees Charged By Real Estate Lawyer
As you close a property sale deal, be prepared with some payments. Find a real estate lawyer to take care of these payments, including real estate attorney fees. You must keep aside a portion of your profit for insurance, taxes, liens and assessment, escrow charges or charges for title insurance, inspection fees etc. Your real estate lawyer may charge you commission and transaction fees.
When you are trying to find a real estate lawyer, the best option that comes to one’s mind is an online real estate lawyer. When selecting an attorney for property related issues, important criteria for selection are qualification, experience and real estate lawyer fees.